|Shopping cart is empty.|
Call us with any questions:
9 am to 11 pm Central Time 1.800.227.5260
Sport Style Detail
No matter which style of SPIKES-SPIDER kit you choose, they all utilize basically the same steel hub system and are manufactured from the same superior materials by the Swiss.
About the "Sport" style of SPIKES-SPIDER®:
- Ideal for use in deep snow and in hilly and steep terrain or for traction on ice, wet grass, mud and sand and more moderate terrain.
- We can size them to fit most tire sizes for sports cars, passenger, SUVs, pickups, etc.
- Composed of traction trac made from a combination of tungsten carbide studded traction bars, linked together with stainless steel links. The four arms, also tungsten carbide studded, hold the trac on the tire.
- Four support arms encircle the tires, with the tracs between the arms.
- The traction ovals are just as easy to put on as the Quick and Compact style. You just lay the trac on the top of the tire, center the traction oval on the previously installed steel hubs, lock on the holding ring, with a "click". Repeat on the other drive wheel. Drive a few revolutions and the traction ovals are forced by the four arms to self-mount on each tire tread.
- They store reasonably flat in the carrying case provided, so they take up a little less room than the Quick, but about the same as the Compact.
- They can be adjusted by moving the links to different holes within the each traction pad and smaller or larger links can be substituted to modify the size to fit many tire sizes. Shown below is a close-up of traction bars linked together by stainless steel links. Note that each bar has 4 holes on each end. With the complete traction oval off the tire, you can easily turn the links to the sharp "V" in the traction bar and take the end of the link out of the hole. You can then put the end of the link in another hole to shorten or lengthen the trac. You, of course, repeat it on the other end of a bar to keep the trac even. Each adjustment is approximately ¼ inch in the trac. Do not over tighten the devices or they will not self mount properly. Should have it loose enough to put the flat of your hand between the tire and the traction oval, when it is on place on the tire.
The Sport arms and trac do not extend to the back portion of the tire, so they do not cause clearance problems on vehicles. The arms and trac extend about one-half to two-thirds across the tread, encircling the outside portion of the tread, giving the best coverage and traction available, without causing clearance issues.
Best for very wide tires and/or vehicles that are rear drive and have little weight in the back, such as pickups.
All styles; Quick, Compact, Sport and Alpine Pro traction devices are equally easy to remove after use.